Paid Training for High Math Educators of Title I ESEA Schools
Posted April 22, 2021 by Kaitlan Holley
The Educator Paid Summer Training program for Title I educators at the high school math level is a new part of The Actuarial Foundation’s Modeling the Future Challenge (MTFC). The program includes incredible resources for teachers as well as paying them for their participation. The benefits include:
- Support to mathematics educators in underserved (title 1) schools through two programmatic components: (1) Summer training, and (2) Fall mentorship.
- Provides $600 training stipend for participating educators.
- Provides mentorship from MTFC Master Trainers and volunteer actuaries to help participating educators gain the skills and knowledge needed to be successful in the Challenge and implement it in the classroom.
- Available to mathematics educators at Title 1 schools in the United States.
Only 9 hours of training total throughout the summer.
What does the full program include?
Part 1: Summer Training [June 2021 – August 2021]
A six-week training course for participating educators. Training includes:
- Weekly 1 hr training webinar
- Training materials and example activities to help guide you through the MTFC Actuarial Process curriculum.
- Instruction and guidance on implementing the Modeling the Future Challenge with students in your mathematics classroom.
- The summer training program begins in mid-June and concludes at the beginning of August 2021. All training webinars are virtual. The summer training program is hosted by the Institute of Competition Sciences, MTFC Master Trainer educators, and volunteer actuaries.
Part 2: Fall Optional Mentorship [September 2021 – November 2021]
- During the fall school semester, participating educators will be supported through a mentorship process over 10 weeks to guide you through the early Modeling the Future Challenge processes.
- Mentorship provides support, activities, and tips to help engage your students in the MTFC.
- Each week, educators will be supported with a Master Trainer check-in and be provided with recommended steps for their teams to take to get into the MTFC successfully.
How to apply
Free applications for the Title I School Support Pilot Program are open and enrollments are filled on a first-come, first-served basis for eligible educators. To be eligible for the Title I School Support Pilot Program, educators must teach at a Title 1 school, in the United States. The educator must teach a relevant junior or senior level mathematics course and must be interested and able to participate in the MTFC for the 2021-22 season. To apply, click here to complete an application form. The application deadline is June 1, 2021 at 11:59pm CT.