Math Challenges for the Spring Semester
Posted January 7, 2020 by Joshua neubert
The new year is upon us and the excitement in the academic competitions world couldn’t be higher. However, we know that with the start of the spring semester, many students feel like it’s too late to get into competitions this academic year. While lots of great competitions do require students to register in the fall semester, there are still many opportunities to engage in new challenges this spring. We took some time to dive into one of our favorite area of academic competitions – mathematics – to identify the opportunities for students who may want to flex their math skills this spring semester. For the mathematically minded K-12 students, here are a few opportunities you won’t want to miss before this school year is out that you can still register for!
Mathworks Math Modeling Challenge. M3 Challenge is an exciting opportunity to connect 11th and 12th grade students with real-world problem-solving challenges. Math modeling shifts student thinking about math encouraging team collaboration and decision making about problem parameters. Register by February 21st, 2020 for this free, one day, internet-based competition. Don’t miss out!
- AMC 10/12 – final registration deadline for the AMC 10/12 contest for high school students is January 10th for version A and January 13th for version B.
- American Regions Math League – events are May 29th and 30th, 2020.
- AoCMM competition – registrations due February 1, 2020.
- ASA Data Visualization Poster Contest – submissions due April 1, 2020.
- ASA Statistics Project Competition – submissions due June 1, 2020.
- Caribou Math Contests – contests occur from Jan to May, 2020.
- Carnegie Mellon Informatics and Mathematics Competition – register by February 1, 2020.
- COMAP Mathematical Contest in Modeling – register by Feb 13, 2020.
- International Data Analysis Olympiad – online round, Jan 15 – Feb 11.
- International Mathematical Modeling Challenge – competition dates March 9 – May 4.
- Johns Hopkins Mathematics Tournament – contest event registration Feb 8.
- Math League Contest – qualifying contests go through March 2020.
- Math Prize for Girls – event June 30, 2020.
- Math Video Challenge – registration due March 6th.
- Mathworks Math Modeling Challenge – registrations due February 21st, 2020.
- Noetic Learning Math Contest – March 20, 2020 deadline.
- Purple Comet Math Meet – start of event, April 21st, 2020.
Don’t forget you can find and follow all of the academic competitions to strengthen your math skills on the ICS competitions database. It’s never too early to start planning for the 2020-21 school year, and you can do so using your ICS account! We work hard to keep all of the information about these competitions up to date so you don’t have to dig through it all on your own.